Sunday, August 13, 2017

Classroom Management OR

Herding goats and sheep?

 This week's prompt is thanks to Ms. Nguyen's post.  Early in my career I was encouraged to use popsicle sticks, write names on board, and proximity.  I found I was always leaving my sticks somewhere in the room and they were not convenient when I needed them; I had five sets.  Students would change them around when I was helping another student.  I felt that writing names on the board was akin to public shaming and I could not support this technique.  Proximity worked until I had five disruptive students in one class!  I was not encouraged to visit another classroom, I wish I had the courage to just go visit a teacher I knew had better management skills than me.  Ms. Nguyen's comment that  I "“add small details” is what [ I ] must do — like practice, fail, practice, fail, shit, practice, shit, fail again — in the classroom!" is so VERY TRUE.   I would add to Ms. Nguyen's list - blog about your struggles and your successes.  These do not need to be public, but it is good to look back and see how your management style has changed over the years.  Sometimes I look back in my old school paper journal to see how I handled a similar situation.  I have also noted which times of the year I seem to experience more management issues - late October, February, and late April.  I know they are difficult times so I try to remember patience and understanding to help us all "survive".

I have struggled with classroom management for the last 25 years.  Not because I have terrible students or uninteresting topics but because I continuously want to be better.  The adage of a great lesson leads to fewer management issues is true for me.  I try to revise and find new ways of teaching students to keep them interested, but there are some topics where I have not found the magic recipe.

What do I think I do well?  I work on classroom routines from day one.  Things like checking the board for the "Do Now" task.  Sometimes this is a list of materials and groups, others it is a conversation starter or traditional math warm-up. I enlist the help of a time-watcher or two to help make sure there is time for clean-up at the end of class.  I teach how to put away our laptops - log-off all websites, shut down (not sign-off), place in #'ed slot and plug-in power chord.  Anytime there is an algorithm for a daily or weekly task, I teach it.  My HS Ss do well with these, though the laptops and restroom procedures get re-taught often!

What I think I do not do well?  I have some lessons that are significantly less fun and interesting - balancing a checkbook or comparing loans.  I hope to use #MTBoS and #finlit to find some interesting, creative, engaging ideas.

How do I deal with management issues?  As I have primarily seniors, I try to have a conversation with them as if I was their boss.  I explain that I have some concerns and I ask them why they are acting out.  I try to understand what is happening - usually not classroom related - and ask if they just need an ear or if they want to brainstorm solutions.  Most of the time, my student is able to return to class and focus on the task.  If I have to talk to that student repeatedly, I let them know that I will need to contact other concerned adults - coaches, parents/guardians, administrator.

A few years ago, I read "Love and Logic" for parents.  I have not read the one for teachers, but I know the techniques work for me in my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment