Sunday, August 6, 2017

24 Anyone?

6 August 2017

I gave up reviewing my syllabus the first day when I talked with my last class one year.  They commented on how they have heard the same rules with various words for six periods.  So I asked them what the rules should be and materials needed for class.  As this took about half the class, I was at a loss for what to do next.  Now I play a game like 24 which has them use their order of operations skills.  As I was reading a YouCubed, I found a variation called Four 4's.  This one challenges students to find as many ways as possible to solve for a number using four 4's and only four 4's.  This year I will begin with 24 and move to four 4's once they get the idea.

As I have difficulty remembering names (26th year teaching 170 plus students), I will have them make a name tent, but with a twist.  At least three letters must be built with something they like.  For Example, I use a book for the letter "O".  I write the title of my most recent read book on it because I like to read.  For the letter "N" I use a spool of thread and needle because I sew.  For the letter "A" I draw a tent and some trees behind it because I like to camp.  I make a new sign for each period each year.  This shows students my limited artistic abilities.  I do require them to use crayons, colored pencils, or markers.

I collect the name tents at the end of each class and I distribute them at the beginning of the next.  As soon as I get their name correct three days in a row, they staple it to my wall.  The first one and the last one in each class gets a treat.  I should note that there is usually a pair of students that I always mix up.  It frustrates me to no end!  I usually end up sitting them together until my brain straightens it out.  These two get a special prize at the end of the year for their patience.  In classes where there are multiples of the same name, I use Mr./Ms. and last names.  Thankfully I have not had the same first and last multiples!

In Entrepreneurship, I will start off with the game "Who Is a Millionaire?"  It starts the conversation about entrepreneurship and possibilities.  Time permitting, they start their name tent.

Edit: photos from today's name tents.










1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! I started name tents last year and am going to incorporate your three letter twist.

    ReplyDelete