Thursday, August 24, 2017

Organization

24 Aug 2017

I have a designated area in my classroom where I keep all student materials - scissors, rulers, markers, colored pencils, tape, glue, etc.  I have mixed seating and wish I could have only tables as I used to keep a tote with "daily used supplies" more accessible.  This student center is also where they will find their submission folders - a single pocket expandable folder.  Each class has one.  I also have a stacking set of trays for returning work.  I am usually great at grading and moving to the return trays but I find I run out of time for actually distributing the graded work! 

I frequently have students on the computer to complete projects.  They are learning to put them away by numbered slot and to use the numbered plug, as well.  By the time my last class uses them, the batteries are near dead if a previous student forgets to plug it in!  I have to check it after each period - but those who are repeat offenders as they are numbered, will get to put all way beginning next week.

My desk is a no-go zone for students. Though it looks like a disaster, I know which stack has which papers.  I periodically clean it up just because it gets to me.  In a day I could have just as many other papers to handle as those my students submit for grading.  Going electronic is a goal for me, but others seem to thwart me at every turn!

I used to color-code everything but I have given up. I have taught too many different subjects and there are just so many colors of files or paper.  I am at the stage where I am using up my "remaining small stacks."  I keep copies for students in a hanging file create and they know they get one free.  Replacements are made in the school library before school, at lunch, or after school.  At the beginning of the year I make extras for the new (15 so far this year!) students who started after our First Day on Aug 4.

Pictures will be here tomorrow - I can't seem to remember to use my phone to get pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment