Monday, September 4, 2017

Organized?

Organization?  Orderly Chaos is more apt.

I like to know that everything has a place in my room, however, with the number of extras that work their way in, I fight a loosing battle.  To keep student work and materials organized is my primary focus.  I have a student center which has staplers, 3-hole punch, tape, scissors, rulers, graphing calculators, and more.  I periodically look it over and rest it.  Student have elastic closing folders for submitted work - one for each class - and a set of stacking trays for returned work.  Students are taught if their work is placed on my desk, then I will not grade it.  If you could see my desk, you would understand!  I have been using this system for 10 years and I have yet to loose student work.

Now I try to keep my desk clear, but I have several projects in the works.  Things like field trips, PD, PLC, and lesson plans.  I have found if I put them into folders and into a drawer, I forget to get them done. Why not try a list?  My lists have lists!  Though my desk may look a mess, I know where things are.  I have them prioritized, too.  Sticky notes are my best friend - what to give to students going on a filed trip, what to have signed by admin, what is due soon.  By the end of the year, I have stacks of binders with important papers in them.  It works, but it may not be overly efficient.  The good side is I rarely sit at my desk during class time!  Too much stuff there to help students.

My best addition this year is my cell phone parking lot.  Once placed it is there for the remainder of class.  My seniors are using it more and they are more focused. I don't trip over cords!

Picture two, you can just see my student center in the back corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment